Enjoy a stay in our traditional 17th century former coaching inn.The "Stag"(as its affectionately known by locals) is a family run hotel,situated at the water's edge of the river Forth, overlooking the ancient harbour, and nestles between the world famous Forth rail and road bridges.We are located on the towns medieval cobbled High Street and Gote Lane, which ambles down to the ancient harbour where many an artist can be seen sketching the bridges. There can be few hotels offering a more dramatic location! All this, and only 15 minutes from our beautiful capital city of Edinburgh.
A WEE GUIDE TO SOUTH QUEENSFERRY Queensferrys name derives from Queen Margarets crossing to Dunfermline Abbey, by ferry on her visits to the monks there.Queen Margaret(latterly given saint status) wife of King Malcolm of Scotland resided in Edinburgh Castle where an interested visitor can view her very own chapel (circa 1200) within Edinburgh Castle. The town is within easy reach of many historical places of interest; Dalmeny House, Hopetoun House, Blackness Castle, Linlithgow Palace and Queen Margarets Departure point to Dunfermline. On our doorstep the Priory Church can be found - a 15th century monastery inhabited by the Carmellite monks. Directly opposite the hotel is Roseberry Hall which was originally the town Hall, and prison. South Queensferrys marina, Port Edgar, offers a wide range of water sports, and is only a five minute walk away
Rooms from £40.00 per night Bed and Breakfast
THE STORY OF THE "STAG"
There aince wis a Stag, a prood bonny Stag, whae bided in woods yont the "Ferry"
Karen Purves MBII
A WEE TRANSLATION
aince~once, prood~proud, bided~lived, cantie~jolly, fashes~troubles, croose~proud,
dirl~noise, clatter~loud noise, dumfoonert~bewildered, keeked~carefully looked,
bield~shelter, naigs~horses, luggin~pulling, din~noise, maisters~masters,
garbed~dressed, braw~beautiful, pootert~powdered, snaw~snow, louped~jumped,
gloamin~in the dusk, yestreen~in days gone by, fashed~bothered, nicht~night,
bluidy~bloody, hings~hangs, neebors~neighbours, nebbin~nosey, fore a fa~before a fall.
LEGEND: In the year 1708 as these premises were under construction an unthinking "STAG" wandered into the village and was slain on this spot by a passing coach. The coach was a relevantly new innovation, and our predecessors took full advantage of the trade it brought to this area,by adding an extension of 14 bedrooms and an upstairs parlour to the existing alehouse in 1712.
WHY NOT BROWSE OUR WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR HOTEL AND SELECTIVE BREAKS.